home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Cream of the Crop 20 / Cream of the Crop 20 (Terry Blount) (1996).iso / bbs / pin0796.zip / MODERATE.TXT < prev    next >
Text File  |  1996-04-16  |  7KB  |  147 lines

1. This file lists the duties of the moderators in PIN conferences.
  3. Rules for the network as a whole are listed in the rules.txt file
  4. that is included in the is packet.
  6. What is a moderator?
  7. ---------------------
  9. In a network mail conference, a moderator is a user of the network who has 
  10. volunteered to monitor the message traffic of one of the conferences. 
  12. The job of the moderators in Politically Incorrect Net is two fold. 
  14. The first, and most important is to stimulate messages that are within the 
  15. topic guidelines of the conference, as listed in CONF.LST.
  17. The second duty of the moderator is to inform users of inappropriate behavior 
  18. in the message areas, and let the admin and users sysop know of this.
  20. Being heavy handed is NOT in the job discription, nor will it ever be. A 
  21. moderator should keep messages on track, and topic with gentle reminders, not 
  22. threats or flames. Moderators messages are monitored by the admin, and 
  23. inappropriate treatment of users will be noted and corrected. Hopefully this 
  24. won't happen.
  26. In The Politicallly Incorrect Net, the system administrator will act as 
  27. the moderator for the following conferences.
  29. PIN_SYSMOD 
  30. PIN_ADMIN  
  31. PIN_SUGGESTION 
  33. How do I become a moderator?
  34. ----------------------------
  36. This is an easy question. Volunteer! Moderators will be selected from net 
  37. users who volunteer for the job. They needn't be sysops (though they can), 
  38. they don't have to be a "friend of the admin", or anything else. They should 
  39. be a mature message user, who knows how to effectively deal with people 
  40. without stepping on their toes.
  42. To voluteer to be a moderator, leave a message to BOB BELLER in the 
  43. PIN_SUGGESTIONS conference. In the message include the conference you'd like 
  44. to moderate, and why you think you could do a good job.
  46. Moderator Responsibilities.
  47. --------------------------
  49. 1. Post the rules of your conference at least once a month.
  51. Conference rules should follow as close as possible the network rules listed 
  52. in Rules.Txt. Your posting doesn't have to include everything in that file, 
  53. (nor should it) but instead a one or two paragraph sysopsis of the rules, and 
  54. a paragraph on what the conference is about. You can elaborate on the short 
  55. listing in conf.lst, and expand what you will except as "on topic posts" in 
  56. your conference. Keep in mind that making one conference all inclusive will 
  57. draw users from other conferences. Try to avoid this. 
  60. Post this message to ALL and use a subject line that will let them know what 
  61. it is. 
  63. Any major deviation from the rules in Rules.txt must be approved by the 
  64. admin. Post a message in PIN_ADMIN listing what you'd like to change for your 
  65. conference, and why. It will be responed to as quick as possible.
  67. 2. Stimulate message posting... The purpose of the net is to transfer mail 
  68. back and forth, if no one is posting, there won't be much mail to transfer.
  69. When things get slow, post a message or two on different topics that fit the 
  70. conference, and see what happens.
  72. 3. Notify users of inappropriate behavior. If it is just a case of an off 
  73. topic post or two, a gentle reminder of the correct conference for the 
  74. messages should be all that is needed. 
  76. When a user becomes a "problem child", and is violating more sacred rules, 
  77. such as use of vulgar language, cross posting messages to the whole net 
  78. (Spamming), or flaming other users do the following:
  80. a. Post a message to the user (quoting a small amount of the original) 
  81. explaining why what they did is wrong.
  83. b. Post a message in PIN_ADMIN to BOB BELLER (or current administrator) with 
  84. the subject PROBLEM USER. Quote back the entire problem message. Carbon Copy 
  85. the message (cc:) to the sysop of the board where the message originated. 
  86. Most offline readers will allow cc: messages. This is the only case where 
  87. sending carbon copies is acceptable.
  89. If this is a first offense, it will be noted, however, no action will be 
  90. taken. If the behavior doesn't change after a moderator warning, then the 
  91. user may be asked to leave the conference for a short while. (see rules.txt 
  92. for lengths of vacations). 
  94. Notify the sysop and admin of any continued problems with the particular user.
  95. If the behavior changes, no problem, live and let live. If it doesn't, let 
  96. the admin handle it.
  98. 4. NEVER!!! Argue about your moderating with a user in your conference. This 
  99. can only lead to problems (for you). If the user isn't happy with what you 
  100. did, explain to them that rules.txt outlines how to appeal a net suspension, 
  101. or conference vacation. In fact, cut that part out of Rules.Txt and leave it 
  102. to them in the message. 
  104. HELPFUL HINTS.
  105. --------------
  107. While it would be great that every situation would fit this set of 
  108. guidelines, it won't happen. It never does. I know that since I left one 
  109. thing out that could happen, it will! (Murphy writes his laws based on what I 
  110. forget to include in things).
  112. 1. Use an offline mail reader. 
  114. It's nearly impossible to keep up with all message traffic "online". Don't 
  115. try to, unless you are a speed reader. A few good mail readers for DOS are
  116. OLX-TD.EXE (olx ver 2.1) from Mustang Software, and Speed200 (Speed Read ver 
  117. 2.0). UniQwk, OLXWIN, and Cmpqwk are all good windows readers. KWQ is a good 
  118. OS/2 reader. Freddie works well on Macs.
  120. 2. Read the mail in your conference at least 3 times a week. That way 
  121. problems don't get past you. Plus it keeps you current on what's going on, 
  122. and who's new in the conference.
  124. 3. Post a welcome message to a user who you notice for the first time. This 
  125. helps new users feel welcome in your conference, and makes them more likely 
  126. to post to it. 
  128. 4. Use the PIN_SYSMOD conference to talk to the other moderators and sysops 
  129. about general (non official) business, and say hi to each other. You are part 
  130. of the group that makes the work in network. 
  132. 5. Don't get discouraged if you have a slow week or two of mail. It happens, 
  133. and things will pick up.
  135. 6. Feel free to send me mail suggesting changes to the rules, etc. I am only 
  136. one guy, and things get past me occasionally. When they do, let me know, and 
  137. I'll see if I can fix the problem.
  139. 7. If you are getting burnt out, or bored, resign. There is no disgrace in 
  140. saying you are having a hard time with the job. We ain't paying you to do 
  141. this, and there are times when this can't be the priority, or even close.
  143. Thanks for volunteering.
  145. Modified 01/05/96